From Dublin, Ohio to Fano, The Marche, Italy ...

Musings on visting, moving to, touring, living in, and buying property in Italy, as well as commentary on the customs and practices of Italians that differ from similar topics in the US.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Ohio, United States

Moderator

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Furniture Construction Trip >>> Day 6 (Tuesday, 16 May 2006): Laundry, Construction, Dinner with “The Boys”

Tuesday, with only 3 days including today before leaving, becomes a day to get a whole bunch of work done. So, I try to hit it hard and make progress. I’m a bit concerned that I’ll end up not getting all of the things on my list completed, because every time I attack something another item gets added to the list. Most are trips to the hardware store (“ferramenta”) for odds and ends that just could not be expected.

First, it’s off to the store to knock some more purchases off the list. American style coffee maker (a must for my wife, at least once or twice a week when she’s here), side arm umbrella for the terrace, (2) oiled wood loungers and (2) sling chairs (“sdraio”) with cushions, for the terrace as well, and a whole bunch more odds and ends.

Then, a quick trip to the laundry (“lavanderia”) to pick up some bed sheets and a blanket that I left to be laundered last trip (March). Gosh, I love the way they wrap your laundry in Italy. It’s like taking a gift (“regalo”) home with you!

Then, to work on the final piece of furniture … the bed for the second bedroom. It’s a time consuming job because it’s a more complex piece of furniture. It’s a divan-style or day-bed-style bed, which has a neat expansion feature, as well as 3 large storage drawers underneath. The bed pulls out from a single, to a double, and the storage space is not impacted. It allows for more useful space in the room, except when sleeping. An awesome design by IKEA, and not all that expensive.

One of the things that’s readily apparent today is that having an apartment near the historic center complicates getting large purchases up to the apartment and terrace. First, you need to park near the place to make it as easy as possible. I our case, this means parking on the street where we’re really not supposed to park … although the Italians seem pretty lenient about this. You’re more likely to get ridicule from your neighbors (as I did, but just once), than receive a parking ticket.

Then, it’s the trudge up the stairs. In our case, only one floor to either the terrace (back entrance) or front door of the apartment. But, with a large load of heavy, awkward “stuff”, it’s a workout even if you’re in good shape!

After working all day, I took a shower and had a glass of wine and a cigar on the terrace while I waited for my dinner host to pick me up.

The builder of our apartment – “reconstructor” actually – has become a good friend of mine. The first trip I made back to Fano after we purchased the place was in December of 2005. It was really a trip to check on the progress of the reconstruction and buy a few things that needed to be bought (light fixtures, kitchen, etc.) for our builder to complete the place. Danielle is a hard working, honest guy who’s a self-made man. Drive with him through Fano and the surrounding area, and he’ll show you building after building that he’s either built or reconstructed. Right now, he has a big project underway in Senigallia, south of Fano. He’s also just bought a very large, old apartment in the heart of the historic center of Fano that he’s going to divide into two good-sized apartments.

In December, he invited me to go to one of his Tuesday “dinner with the boys”. He told me that this group (somewhere between 15 and 20 men) has been having dinner together every Tuesday night for 30 YEARS! They are a close group who come from varied backgrounds and business … politicians, doctors, innkeepers, builders, generals, heads of government departments, factory owners. What they’ve built, long before the word was even used in this manner, is a “networking group”.

When I first went in December, they welcomed me with open arms, and every time I go back, I have to be sure to make an over-Tuesday-night stay in order to attend. They’re a smart bunch of guys … all quick witted and good at debating large and small issues. I am very glad to have been accepted into their dinner circle, and hope I can continue to be a part as time goes by.

I’ve promised them an American BBQ in August, ribs really, made with my wife’s special rub and special sauce. We’ll combine this with pasta, and a few other Italian dishes, to make it a special night. I’m looking forward to this … but a bit nervous. The food we eat on Tuesdays is spectacular, local, and fresh. Still, they critique and rate the dishes, one by one, every time. I want to get a good review … especially since I’ve shared with them that I’m making the pasta sauce!

This night, we feast on pizza “ciclista” (just rosemary, olive oil, and salt), pickled vegetables (best I’ve ever had, hands down), cold cuts (salami, prosciutto, bresaola), strozzapretti (a pasta that literally means “priest chokers” or “priest stranglers”) primi, risotto primavera, mixed green salad, roasted meats, and a very savory dish of pork liver wrapped in bay leaves and then roasted. Top all of this off with a choice of desserts (“dolce”) – mine was panna cotta with a frutti di bosco sauce. Of course, coffee and a little nip of liqueur, and you can call it a night. All of this served in a sunroom-style location in the hillside overlooking a small, very green, valley.

Life is great. Especially for the “dinner circle” in Fano!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home