From Dublin, Ohio to Fano, The Marche, Italy ...

Musings on visting, moving to, touring, living in, and buying property in Italy, as well as commentary on the customs and practices of Italians that differ from similar topics in the US.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Ohio, United States

Moderator

Sunday, June 11, 2006

One (older) man’s quest to learn Italian – Part 2

Once I got to the end of the Pimsleur cassettes I had borrowed from the library, I realized that I had used what I refer to as a “sampler” package from Pimsleur. The full-blown Pimsleur language learning series are sets of 3 levels (Levels I, II, and III), and contain, if my memory serves me, 30 lessons in each series that are … about … 30 minutes long. This means that each set or level of a series contains about 15 hours of language training. Not the 4 or 8 tape sets of 4 or 8 hours in duration total.

These Pimsleur language series were not available at my library (they may be at yours!), so I purchased the first level, Level I, on e-Bay. I did the same for Level II and Level III as well. I never paid more than $200 for a Level. For Level I, I purchased the cassette series. For Level II and Level III, I purchased the CD series. They are exactly the same content … just different media (CD vs. cassette).

I had about 6 months between the time I received my first Pimsleur set and the time I would leave for Italy. I became serious about learning Italian, and used the series every second I could. I used the cassettes for Level I while showering and shaving, while in the car, while exercising (distance running), while traveling (on airlines), and any time I had “down time” when I could study for even a few minutes (doctor or dentist waiting room, middle of the night when I couldn’t sleep, etc.).

I followed the advice of the Pimsleur method of learning, and repeated each lesson until I “got” about 80% of the material. This meant I had to listen to each lesson 5 to 10 times, depending on the intensity and the complexity of the material in a specific lesson. This means I had to devote 2 and a half to 5 hours to each lesson, or 75 to 150 hours for one level of the series. As I write this and think back on that time, I’m pretty sure that more lessons were repeated 10 times than those repeated only 5 times, so the actual time spent for the series was likely much closer to 150 hours than 75.

The Pimsleur method of language learning uses phrases that continually build on one another to teach one how to speak and understand the language. It does not do a great job of teaching one how to read, or write. It is focused on verbal communication. Since this was my objective, it was perfect for me. It might not be for you if your objective of learning Italian is different than mine.

I managed to get fully through Levels I & II as well as through Level III at about 50% accomplishment before I left for Italy. When there, I was 100% able to communicate, in Italian, to get anywhere, do anything, and find anything we needed. It was a freeing experience … to be able to move around in a foreign country and not depend on anyone speaking English. I did find that my Italian was not good enough to carry on anything more than a very basic conversation … that I needed much more learning and practice, and much more vocabulary. But, it was clear that Pimsleur worked, and that spending time focused on completing Level III on return to the US would get me another large step closer to being proficient enough to converse in Italian.

For $600 or less (3 sets of Pimsleur lesson for $200 or less each), I had gotten a long way fast.

In my next entry in this series, I’ll share what I did when I returned from Italy because there is an interesting challenge that completing Level III presents.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to second what you say about Pimsleur. The system works. I went through about lesson 15 in German before I traveled to Germany and, while I definitely couldn't handle every situation, I was far from helpless. I plan to go back after finishing Level III (thru lesson 90). -- Jim, Annapolis MD

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home