From Dublin, Ohio to Fano, The Marche, Italy ...

Musings on visting, moving to, touring, living in, and buying property in Italy, as well as commentary on the customs and practices of Italians that differ from similar topics in the US.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Ohio, United States

Moderator

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Happy Hour "Perplexion" …

I recently stayed in a hotel in Varese, just north of the Malpensa airport (the more international airport in Milan) just to the west of Milan ("Milano"). It was so good that I'm planning a separate blog entry on the restaurant, bar, and hotel for future publication. But I have to tell this story because it highlights a major difference between Italians and Americans.

I was at the hotel because my best man and I had just finished a trip to my family's new apartment in Fano on the Adriatic coast to buy all the furniture ... which will be another blog entry. My wife could not make the trip due to work (job) matters, and I needed someone along to do some heavy lifting. We stayed in Varese because we were looking for somewhere to spend the night near the Malpensa airport because of an early flight back to the US the next day. It would have been painful to get up early enough to drive to Milan from Fano.

We just kind of threw a dart at the map and picked Varese. No goal in mind other than a (relatively) cheap hotel room, a good meal, and a good sleep. What we found, and how we found it, I'll leave for the next blog. But, let's talk about "Happy Hour" at the hotel's bar (that's the Italian meaning of bar by the way, meaning coffee bar as well as a place where you can get wine, beer, "aperitivi", and other drinks).

I was at the bar, waiting for my companion, when Happy Hour started. I'm pretty sure that there's no particular thing called "Happy Hour" in Italy ... it's just the time before dinner when people go out for a drink, socialize, and prepare for dinner. I'm certain there is an Italian word for it, I just don't know what it is ... yet.

Anyway, the bartenders started cutting up different foods and putting them on wooden cutting boards, on the bar, to serve them. They were, as in many Italian bars at this time, free appetizers (so to speak). Cheeses, cold cuts, little pastries, mushrooms ... you get the picture. It was clear that these were all special, locally procured foodstuffs, and were the normal fare at this time, every day. Nothing special for Italians, very special for us.

When my buddy arrived, and he had a few of these, he was floored (as was I) because they were so good. Not just good, fantastic!

My buddy asked, "Why don't they do this in the US? The best we can do is some fried something that's bad for you, only tastes good because of the fat content, and is mass produced. Or, some greasy meatballs in some unknown sauce."

At first, we were perplexed … really perplexed … very perplexed.

And then the correct response hit us right between the eyes. Why? Because in the US, those plates of foods would be devoured by one or two people who had to "get their fill” or "get their money's worth" (meaning something for nothing) and essentially ruin the party for everyone else. It would never work.

At the place in Italy, everyone had one or two of each item, satisfied themselves, and moved on. I'd go so far as to say they were thankful for the quality and the care of preparation. They didn't look at the items as goods they were entitled to so much as a "gift" or "treat" from the owners. Accordingly, they acted accordingly.

If this were the US there would be people at such an establishment, pick anywhere in the country, who would "pig out" on this stuff. Think of the people who "feed" at the buffets in Las Vegas. Get the picture? Save me, please!

It's a concept that works in Italy because quality comes before quantity, and self control ... and what I'll call "graciousness" ... come before selfishness ... at least in the case of good food. It would never work in the US, at least not in a public venue. What a shame. It was so darn good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home