From Dublin, Ohio to Fano, The Marche, Italy ...

Musings on visting, moving to, touring, living in, and buying property in Italy, as well as commentary on the customs and practices of Italians that differ from similar topics in the US.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Ohio, United States

Moderator

Monday, June 12, 2006

One (older) man’s quest to learn Italian – Part 3

Upon return from Italy in the summer of 2000, I worked to complete Level III of the Pimsleur series. At the same time, I did more research and found a CD series called “Learn In Your Car” … Italian. I purchased this. It is a set of 9 CDs … 3 each for their Levels 1, 2, and 3. This series is different than the Pimsleur series. It takes what I feel is a more traditional approach to teaching languages … lots of lessons are purely conjugating verbs, but at least they are in a functional, useable, learnable (I think that’s a made up word, sorry!) format. As well, this series goes into much more difficult uses of pronouns (direct and indirect), reflexive verbs, etc. Also, much more vocabulary … including many new verbs or verb infinitives.

I must admit that even today, after about 5 years of study (that’s 5 years on and off I might add … not full time over 5 years), I’m still not completely finished with all of Level 3 of “Learn In Your Car”. There are a number of lessons that I continue to listen to on a regular basis. I have pretty much learned all of the vocabulary on all 9 CDs … it’s just some pronoun use and some of the more complex sentence structures that I’ve still not mastered. Most are not that commonly used in everyday Italian, so I don’t get much practice with them when in Italy either.

So, “Learn In Your Car” is a great resource to further expand your grasp of Italian, and is priced very nicely. I believe I purchased it through Amazon for about $40 plus shipping.

Caution! This set is also sold “broken up” … something like what Pimsleur does. I would advise saving the money (and making the personal commitment) and buying the complete 3-level set … not each set one-by-one.

In my next entry in this series, I’ll share some of the other resources I’ve found to further your self-study of Italian and do more advanced learning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home